Monday, November 18, 2013

ReTrash prize winner!

I usually don't win competitions, so you could have knocked me over with a feather when I received an email from Nathan of ReTrash: Inspiring a sustainable planet telling me I had won their 10/14/2013 weekly comp! Woot! Now you know that a sustainable planet is a goal that I aim to achieve with my business and if not, well you can read about how I try to do it in my Environment section of my website. I also believe in an ethical and fairtrade business model and helping out my local community and so do ReTrash as well. They have just launched a Kickstart Campaign to raise funds to create a book that will help you do this as well.
Recycled Sterling Silver Earrings by Gabrielle McGrath
Earings from Red Peg Ecostudio
'Retrash is a sustainability website that promotes the growing movement of people across the globe that are reducing landfill by upcycling, repurposing and reusing salvaged materials. Nathan is based in the Blue Mountains Australia, and is the founder of Retrash.' http://www.retrash.com/who-we-are/
Paper Plate Sculpture by Jane Lennon
A beautiful plate made from recycled paper by Janet Lennon
As I mentioned above, ReTrash have launched a Kickstart Campaign to launch their book Retrash, an inspirational book which showcases the work and personal lives of more than 80 artists and creative thinkers worldwide. These are the people leading the global recycling movement. 
SciFi raygun by Sean Boyd
A SteamPunk ray gun created by Sean Boyd Junk Artist

How does Retrash book help you benefit the environment?

1. You just chose a second hand item over a new one, and in doing so, prevented more waste going to landfill and our oceans. Not only that but you are supporting someone who loves to create beautiful things from waste salvaged from dump sites and thrift shops (Salvation Army, Vinnies etc). Thrift shops are generally run by charities so they get a donation as well.
2. Landfill has a negative effect on climate change by releasing methane (among others), a harmful greenhouse gas 23 times more potent than carbon dioxide. By reducing landfill we are reducing these dangerous gases in our atmosphere and reducing toxic runoff.
3. The book is printed on 100% recycled paper, which means that we are increasing the demand for recycled paper over virgin fibre! (No trees cut down.)
By backing this project, you are helping the environment in so many positive ways. Let's create change together: the bigger this project gets, the more waste we save from ending up in man-made holes in our earth and in our oceans! "
I support this project and I'd like you to support it as well. You don't need to give a lot, but the more who contribute, the more chance ReTrash have of being successful in creating their project!

***********************************************************************************************

I'm The Tailor's Apprentice, maker of The Miss Page 1940s reproduction patterns, gowns developed from pattern pieces found amongst the remnants of Miss Violet Florence Page’s life and work. Affordable, elegant, and unique garments from the 1940s war years. 

All my patterns are available on Etsy and my website where you'll find out more about me as well. This year I am publishing an 1820s gown wardrobe pattern and an Australian Army Nurses Services WWI uniform pattern.


If you'd liked to be included on my mailing list for events, pattern release dates and interesting snippets about vintage and historic sewing, please subscribe to my Newsletter on The Tailor's Apprentice website.






No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments and thoughts on my posts.