Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Regency man's waistcoat - Jane Austen Festival Bath

 A Regency man's waistcoat was an important part of his attire, both in full and half dress.

The waistcoat was made from wool, linen or silk and could be a solid but was often a brocade, stripe or pattern, like the one of the right. It had a high, stand-up collar and sometimes wide turn-back lapels, especially earlier in the period. The waistcoat extended below the front of the tailcoat and covered the top of the trousers or breeches. It was most often single breasted but could be double breasted as well, with a small pocket to hold the man’s accoutrements, such as fob watch and fob seal. Men's Regency Fashion

I am making two new ones for J-L's trip to Bath and I'm using the Kannik's Corner Man's Waistcoat pattern c. 1790 - 1815. This pattern, like all of Kannick's that I have used, works like a dream, even with the toile.

The first of the waistcoats is mostly my lovely apprentice's work, its nearly completed, bar the buttonholes. She learnt how to make welt pockets, and I had to relearn the process to show her, I am very pleased with the results.




The second of the waistcoats, was stitched by me , it was a real exercise in 'cutting the suit to fit the cloth' as I only just scrapped out the vest front. The pocket covers are cut different ways in the stripe and the facing is pieced like a jig-saw, lol.
                                        

See the different pocket welts

Front view, just needs button holes and buttons

Side view showing back lining
I'm pleased with it though, it looks good and nicely Regency.

2 comments:

  1. That is GORGEOUS! I love the material (and the lapels!). Where did you get that stripy material? I have been looking for something like that for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, she did a lovely job and learnt a lot, the fabric came from a local second hand shop, I think its curtain or upholstery fabric, but it does look grand.

      Delete

I love to read your comments and thoughts on my posts.